Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Finding local gas prices

There's an example I constantly use when people ask me how local newspapers could improve. In short, I tell people that local newspapers could publish more, get this, local news. And it should be something they're truly interested in. And it should be something that they can post in print and online. And the online version can be open so people can contribute and participate. The specific example I use is gas prices. There's something everyone in town cares about. Print a list on the front page every morning based on whatever was on line the night before at 11 p.m.


Well, time to forget that. Too late. Google has just figured it out. I just noticed the new My Maps feature on Google Maps. (Link to Google Maps.) Under the "add content" feature you can overlay all sorts of information from housing prices to, yup, local gas prices. The gas prices are supplied by Gas Buddy (link to Gas Buddy here) and they overlay a map of my neighborhood.

The other feature is "create new map" which allows you to customize a map with specific information (pizza parlors, places to visit, maybe even gas stations with cheap gas.)


0 comments: