Friday, September 28, 2007

Travels -- London

Was there for a day of meetings but arrived a day early to mingle and meet with several folks on assorted projects.

Lesson learned -- read the weather forecast ahead of time. Fall has arrived in London. I arrived and was not prepared and had a rather chilly 15-minute walk to the flat of a couple we know who transferred to London this fall. Had dinner at a local pub where I learned first hand they won't give you your check til you ask for it. In London I suppose they don't worry as much about turning over tables.

I was staying out at the airport, near where my meeting was scheduled, and decided to take the Tube to Paddington where I would hook up with the Heathrow Express. At that hour it probably would have been faster to cab but I was looking for some local color and that I got since the Circle line was down and had to take a rather circuitous route to get to Paddington where I picked up the Heathrow Express. Despite the hour-long ride, I am reminded how easier (and more advanced) other public transit systems are compared with my hometown, New York.

First, there are people (friendly ones at that) to answer questions. Second, the maps are clear and understandable. Third, I understand what is being said on the speakers. Fourth, it's clean.

Granted, I don't travel the subways much these days and the few times I have, I have noticed an improvement. Still, New York has a long way to go to catch up to other cities, London in particular.

One final note -- housing. My friends shared with me how much they're paying a three-bedroom flat that is 1,500 sq. ft. It's a nice place and appropriate for their family. The costs, though, left me speechless.

0 comments: