Friday, September 7, 2007

Travels -- Iceland

Was there this week for a meeting that included half North Americans and half Europeans. We thought this would be a good halfway point to meet since it's about 4 to 5 hours from NY and 3 from Europe.


We had mixed reaction to this unusual location for a one-day meeting but I am a big fan of new and different places. Others were less enthusiastic mainly due to airline schedules. (Our global meetings always have to reconcile the desire to be near an airport with frequent international flights -- Chicago, New York, London, Frankfurt -- and the desire to be in an inspiring, new location.)
Reykjavik certainly met the second desire although the one day we were there it was 50 degrees, cloudy, rainy and foggy. The map tells me the hotel we stayed at (Nordica) was near the water but I can't provide visual confirmation. I did hear the faint sound of a fog horn in the distance so I guess I can provide audio confirmation.
I had hoped to stay a few days but the second day of meetings got moved to London and I wanted to be back for the weekend. Some interesting lava and volcanic formations were spotted on the ride to the airport.
We also had some excitement while there: (Link to full article.)
Eight Russian military jets with the ability to carry far-reaching bombs, flew off Iceland’s south-southwestern coast yesterday without notifying Icelandic authorities. The jets also flew near Norway and Britain, where they were followed by local military jets.

0 comments: