Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Companies that use Twitter

One thing I've noticed lately is the number of companies that have Twitter accounts. JetBlue, Zappos, Plaxo, Southwest Airlines are ones I've noticed. I'm sure I've missed a lot more.


I monitor all of the ones mentioned above not because I am interested in them as companies but because I'm interested in the way they communicate with customers. I've already spoken about Plaxo but it seems these companies are using Twitter for several purposes:
  1. Track complaints and respond. And the response is usually public.
  2. Set the corporate tone.  Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos, seems to have about 20 tweets a day about everything from contests to observations about his company. It makes a customer feel like he knows the company better.
  3. Recruiting tool. I am going to guess that some will find these companies appealing simply because they appear to have open, engaging cultures.
And they don't use the medium to blast people with stupid promotional messages which I know a bunch of folks in marketing are hungry to do. Instead, it's interesting, useful content.

At a time where it's harder and harder for large companies to "control" the message these companies are realizing that by being part of the conversation they are gaining control.

Twitter IDs:

JetBlue
Zappos
Southwestair
john Mccrea (John McCrea, head of marketing for Plaxo)

0 comments: