Thursday, March 29, 2007

Recent reads -- The Education of a Coach

The Education of a Coach
David Halberstam

I seem to be on a football kick lately. Maybe that's because my three sons are all playing and have started to become big fans.

I am not a big fan of Belichick. Seems a rather brusque, rude character. But that's not my problem since I don't play for him. But I do have great admiration for his success. Reading this book has made me a bit more sympathetic to him and his ways.

An interesting look at a driven man. But at what cost? He and his wife divorced in 2005 and he lives and breathes the sport.

Reminds me of a time I was talking to Dennis Conner and told him how impressive it was he had devoted so much time and effort to his success. His response, after a long pause, was that it was sad. All he knew, he said, was how to sail. He had devoted so much energy to one thing he had no other interests.

0 comments: