Thursday, July 31, 2008

History of rock 'n roll, sort of


This is a bit off topic but I feel compelled to give a mention of a new book: Clark Weber's Rock and Roll Radio: The Fun Years, 1955-1975. (Click here for link to the book.)
I mention this not just because I was cited in the preface (although that was certainly nice) but also because Clark is my father in law. Every time I visit him I learn something new about the early years of rock and roll as well as Chicago radio. During my annual visits I also enjoy rummaging around the basement looking at photos of him with countless famous acts including the Monkees, Beatles and Sonny and Cher.

(My children's favorite story is about the detective from Gary, Indiana who came to Chicago one day with his boys in tow and asked Clark, then a DJ, to hear his boys sing. Clark wasn't too impressed but apparently the rest of the world saw things differently and the Jackson Five did just fine without my father in law's endorsement.)

It's also fascinating to talk to Clark about the changing landscape of radio. You would expect someone of his age to rue all the changes of late. Not so. Clark is endlessly fascinated by the world of Ipods, Internet and a world where media companies no longer control the pipeline. (I just handed Clark a copy of Chris Anderson's book, The Long Tail, which he is devouring.) He's even entered the world of blogs. (If you have any complaints about the blog, blame me. I talked him into it.)

If you get a chance, read the book. I think you will enjoy it.

blog comments powered by Disqus