Saturday, February 23, 2008

Too many sites to check

While I've long believed that sites such as Facebook will prove successful in some sort of fashion, I've also long felt that there are too many such sites and eventually they will have to figure out a way for all of them to work with each other or there will be consolidation.

The news that Facebook now accepts news feeds from other sites is a step in that direction. (Full report here.) However, note that Facebook isn't allowing other sites to capture its updates.

Still on my wish list -- a way for Facebook and other sites to give me multiple personas. In my real life I act differently in different settings and share different info. At work I don't share pictures of my vacation but I do have photos of my children on my desk. Facebook, and other sites, are one big pile of everything and includes information from one persona I may not want to share with others. In a perfect world I would have three personas: work, family and friends. With each bit of info I add I would be able to designate if it's for one of those three personas or all three.

0 comments: